Friday, July 11, 2008

Barack Obama- "Do as I say, not as I do"

According to Barack Obama, we all need to learn foreign languages because its embarrassing that we cannot speak a second language and so many people from other countries can.

Except he can't speak a foreign language either.

Does he even know the real reason why so many people around the world speak English? It's because it is the international language of business and prosperity. I doubt that all the people from Europe, Mexico/South America, the Middle East and the Far East speak English because they like to come here to vacation. Most of them have never even been on American soil. They learn the language because speaking it gives you an advantage. I'd put "vacationing in America" as reason number 8 or 9.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Barak Obama is right to suggest the value of learning a foreign language.

The problem is which language?

In Britain schools mainly teach French, whereas in Australia the learning of Japanese is more prevelant.

And English cannot be claimed to be an international language, if the England soccer manager does not speak English.

It's true!

In the long term a language like Esperanto must deserve serious consideration.

If you have time you might like to check http://www.lernu.net

Anonymous said...

As a British citizen, I won't comment on American political matters, but I will comment on the linguistic aspect of this story. I woulkd recommend a wider use of Esperanto, not to take the place of English, of course, but as a relatively second language for all.

Take a look at www.esperanto.net

Esperanto works! I've used it in speech and writing in a dozen countries over recent years.
Indeed, the language has some remarkable practical benefits. Personally, I've made friends around the world through Esperanto that I would never have been able to communicate with otherwise. I recommend it, not just as an ideal but as a very practical way to overcome language barriers.