Friday, September 19, 2008

And now, for something sad

You may have seen special products or charity items for the Susan G. Komen foundation recently at a number of locations. Every year, the "race for the cure" comes to California and the San Diego area, and you see the color pink everywhere. In my humble opinion, this is one of the best foundations to donate time, money and energy to, and I encourage everyone to do at least one thing to promote or support this organization.

So, each year, I find myself buying items I normally would not purchase, or would normally not pay the higher price for, because I want to be able to do something. I always support a walker in the local marathon each year, and a few years ago, I participated myself. I plan on doing the same next year.

Last night, I went to the local supermarket to pick up some items for a potluck lunch. There was a donation card pack right next to the credit card swipe machine. For one buck you fill out who your donation is in "memory of". I paid for my purchases and was surprised that the cashier did not make her pitch for a donation. So, I took a dollar out and pointed to the card.

The look on the woman's face was one of shock, then gratitude. She asked me if I really wanted to buy one, then a big smile crossed her face and she said thank you! We then chatted for a minute since there was no line. She has been a cashier for about 17 years and she has noticed that year after year (about the last 6-7 that she recalls), people donate less, and seem much more selfish and self-centered. They are often abrupt with her when they say no to a donation. She said that I was the first person who donated in her shift that day and the first who has offered rather than waited for her to say something in over a week.

Does that strike anyone as sad, yet very telling of the world today? Have we reached the point where a buck is too much to ask for? Where people cease to be charitable? Where the pain of someone else is to be ignored? I am afraid of what we as humans have become.

No comments: