Monday, July 23, 2007

How to personally offend a "gangsta"

I found this story today on a local news website, and it made me chuckle. Let me say right off the bat that "50 cent" has every right to be upset over the use of his image without consent. Though he is a public figure, I do believe in his right to privacy. What I would like to know, however, is what he was "personally offended" about.


Rapper "50 cent" is suing Traffix, Inc. for damages over use of his image in the pop-up game "Shoot the rapper". In all fairness, it is not 100% certain it is his image, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I find this interesting because 50 cent is all about guns and violence. He has been shot himself, and raps about shooting others. I found these lyrics, they took me a whole 35 seconds to find them online. My favorite lines include:

"I put a hole in a n**** for f****** with me"
"I walk around gun on my waist, chip on my shoulder, 'Till I bust a clip in your face p****, this beef ain't over"
"Every night, I talk to god, but he don't say nothing back. I know he protecting me, but I still stay with my gat"

Three references to 50 cent shooting someone, and that is just one song. It makes me wonder if he is outraged because he was not paid for the use of his image, or if he finds the image of shooting someone offensive. Maybe it's just his own image being shot is what's offensive to him.

I guess Al Sharpton's assault on gangsta lyrics continues to fall on deaf ears.

1 comment:

Mort Snerd said...

Well said! I think it's hilarious that Ice T, who was first famous for his cop killer "song" now plays a cop on tv.